Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

FOND MEMORIES by Heather Cameron

I am pleased to share with everyone my fond memories of Wanderers:

My ex-husband and I played squash there for many years and my son played tennis. We frequented the wonderful Sunday lunches either on the balcony or in the Ball Room for the set menu. The food was out of this world and more particularly we booked a table for the entire family for Christmas lunch in the Ball Room every year until we moved to Malawi to live for a number of years.

The Christmas lunch was memorable, with each table being allocated 1 waiter per every 4 patrons. The lunch consisted of every possible traditional food from the nuts through to coffee, cheese and biscuits. All I can say is WOW! We even had the choice of fillet steak or other ala carte meals. The cost in those days, the Seventies, was in the region of R19.00 per head. What more can I say.

For the years I worked at the Argus Printing & Publishing Company (The Star) we had a number of our annual balls in the Ball Room. This also holds many fond memories. We dressed up to the nines for these occasions. Any of the function room for weddings or other special occasions called for an excuse to dress very glamorously.

We were also members of Kent Park Taverners and so attended many wonderful cricket matches, after which we strolled over to the Club for dinner in one of the best restaurants in Johannesburg on the upper floor. My boss at the Argus, would send me by chauffeur to watch the test cricket in the press box – yet another privilege.

The shock and horror of the burning down of the Club was immense and it is so rewarding to note how this famous, historical and beautiful building was rebuilt to its present state.

The atmosphere has not changed and I always, now a widow by my second husband, thoroughly enjoy this.

0 comments:

Rate our Blog:

Followers

Contributors